In 1956 Don Severson purchased the Van Wyk Oil Company. This was the beginning of Severson Oil Company as we know it today. Don supplied diesel fuel, gasoline, and lube oil to the Platte area. Many farmers and business turned to Don to meet their energy needs. Throughout the years Don built a reputation for treating his customers fairly and providing excellent service.
In 1977 Don's son Dale joined the business. Dale purchased the business in 1992 and added propane to the services that were provided. The company name changed to reflect the new offerings to Severson Oil & LP Co. Inc., but the quality service remained the same.
In 2004 Dale's son Kevin joined the business. The decision was made in 2006 to purchase a local competitor and the headquarters for the business was moved to its current location. In 2008 Kevin started providing heating and cooling services to Platte and the surrounding area.